The Earth is what we all have in common.
Earth Day is not considered a “religious day” however … why not? Really, when you think about it; isn’t part of our “job” or responsibility, as Christians, as humans, to take care of the Earth that our God created? He created the Earth FOR US! so YES! It is our job to take care of it!
This is GOD’s Earth and he is loaning it us! and don’t we care more for items that aren’t ours?! I mean, I know I do; if I am borrowing my mom’s car, I am so careful with it, extremely careful! This Earth will be our children’s and our children’s children someday, we need to do what we can to care and love it!
You must treat the earth well. It was not given to you by your parents. It is loaned to you by your children.” An African proverb that is a saying of the Kikuyu of Kenya, who have long had a keen sense of their responsibility to care for the earth.
Below are a few ideas to help care for our our planet:
- Save the water bottles and buy a reusable water container. It is estimated that more than 60 million plastic bottles end up in landfills and incinerators every day.
- Save electricity – turn some lights off or switch to energy efficient light bulbs.
- Reusable grocery bags
- Don’t waste food – make a meal plan, for breakfast , lunch, dinner and snacks – then stick to it! If you have a plan, you are less likely to waste food; which saves money and less trash. however, if you do throw food away, you can make a compost. Composting means recycling nutrients back into the ecosystem, which keeps food out of landfills and waterways and enriches the soil!
- Ride your bike or walk instead of using your car. Is there at least one errand you run this week, that you can bike/walk to? Or take the bus!
- Reusable cleaning products – hello NORWEX 😉
- seriously though, for just antibacterial counter spray, I would buy at least one bottle at $5 (for easy math) a month. $5 x 12 months equals $60 a year for just 1 bottle of cleaning spray (and this is generous because many household use more). AND THEN the bottle you empty has to be recycled (hopefully) or thrown away. And your wasting! If you use one Norwex cloth, it is half this cost and helps the environment!
- Save some Water:
- when brushing your teeth or washing hands, turn the facet off.
- Don’t run the dishwasher or washing machine until it’s full. Those half-loads add up to gallons and gallons of wasted water.
- Install a rain barrel. Can use this water for your garden or lawn.
- Maybe skip the daily shower, you can save gallons and gallons of water.
Really there are so many ways to help our planet, its just putting some effort and time into figuring what will work for you! Biking might not work for you or you might not have space for a compost but you could cut down to shower every other day or instead you add a few more dollars to your trash pickup to get a recycling canister. There are ways to help, you just have to do it!
Together if we all can make one change, just one, it will make a difference! Imagine what we can do as a community when we all care…We can make big things a reality! Thanks for reading friends and have a blessed day!